How to Care for Your Aluminum Furniture
Aluminum patio furniture has remained the top choice for consumers for nearly a century. Durable, heavy-duty and attractive, aluminum outdoor furniture requires minimal care to keep your pieces looking like new, and the wide array of available styles match any outdoor space.
Cast aluminum patio furniture, or solid aluminum, is made by pouring hot metal into a mold, making this patio furniture more stable and capable of showcasing more intricate designs. Extruded aluminum patio furniture is hollow, more lightweight than cast aluminum and easier to move.
Caring for Aluminum Furniture
When exposed to the atmosphere, aluminum forms a thin layer of oxide on the surface. This microscopic layer protects the metal from water exposure, hence why quality aluminum resists rusting. This resistance makes maintenance and upkeep fairly simple, and following these easy steps can help ensure your furniture stays looking like new!
- If you notice a slight discoloration on aluminum furniture, clean with mild soap and warm water
- If aluminum has become rough to the touch, smooth the surface with steel wool and soap, but make sure to remove all traces of steel wool after cleaning
- Drain any water that has accumulated inside the frame by removing foot caps from the bottom of the legs
- Remember not to use harsh commercial cleaners on anodized aluminum
Cleaning Aluminum Furniture
- Spray a cleaner onto the aluminum
- Scrub all surfaces of the furniture with a soft-bristled brush or sponge
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water
- Let furniture air dry (preferably in filtered sunlight or partial shade) completely before putting cushions back on or storing
Be sure to check out our patio furniture covers to give your furniture some added protection!
View on BBQGuys.com