Who should install your gas logs?
Gas logs should always be installed by a qualified professional and should never be a DIY project. These professionals have proven knowledge of gas fireplaces, log sets, and stoves as well as their venting systems. In addition, these specialists are fully qualified and have all of the required materials and tools on hand to make the connection safely and ensure it complies with code.
A few professionals who can perform gas log installations are:
- HVAC installers (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning)
- Licensed plumbers
- Chimney sweeps
- Fireplace Installers
Installation prices vary, usually running from $200 to $350 for a basic job, but the price tag is well worth it for the peace of mind while supporting your local contractors.
What should be done prior to installing gas logs?
- Clean the chimney thoroughly prior to installing your new log set, even if you have not been using your fireplace. It is truly amazing what can come out of a chimney that has not been used. It is very important that this step has not been skipped as any build-up of creosote can cause a chimney fire due to the heat that is generated with the log set.
- Clean the firebox as much as possible prior to installation as well. This will make it easier and much cleaner for your installer.
- Clear the area around the fireplace so that your installer has plenty of room to work. They will need to lay out the logs as they are unpacked. A clutter-free area will speed up the installation so you can enjoy your fireplace sooner rather than later.
- If you are installing propane, make sure that your propane tank has sufficient fuel so that the installer is able to properly check the valves and piping for potential leaks
- If the gas line is being installed at the same time as the logs, clear the areas where the line will be run prior to the installer’s arrival. Make sure that they will have access to all areas of the yard, attic or crawlspace as needed.
- Finally, put away the ax, firestarters, gloves, and ash pan since you won’t be needing them again and enjoy your new gas logs!
Still have questions about your gas logs? Call Us Toll-Free: 877-743-2269
View on BBQGuys.com