Bourbon Pecan Pie
Pecan pie is always a traditional dessert at holiday gatherings. This recipe is slightly different from most pecan pies. The candied orange peel and Bourbon is what makes this pie a little out of the ordinary and the Jack whipped cream on top makes this dessert memorable. We hope you like this recipe!
|PREP 45 min||COOK 1 hour 10 mins||READY IN 3 hours|
- Pie Ingredients:
- 1 9" pie crust
- 1/4 lb unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup cane syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 T Bourbon (we use Jack Daniel's)
- 2 cups pecans, toasted & chopped
- 2 T candied orange peel (watch the recipe video here)
- 1 T orange peel
- 2 tsp tapioca starch
- Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 T confectioners' sugar
- 2 T Jack Daniel's
- Begin by melting the butter in a mixing bowl set over a double boiler
- When the butter is just melted, remove the mixing bowl from the heat and whisk in the brown sugar, cane syrup, corn syrup, and tapioca starch.
- Now whisk in the eggs one at a time, just until incorporated.
- Place pie shell (foil lined and weighted), in a 350°F oven for 20 – 25 minutes, or until golden and lightly browned.
- Return the mixing bowl to the double boiler and whisk in the fresh orange zest, candied orange peel, vanilla extract, Jack Daniel's, and salt.
- Continue stirring the mixture, over double boiler, until it's internal temperature reaches 130°F; then remove.
- Stir chopped pecans into the mixture, remove your pie shell from the oven and fill with the pecan mixture.
- Place pie on the middle rack and bake for 50-65 minutes at 325°F. Bake until the filling is set up and firm like jello.
- Remove pie from the oven and place on a cooling rack until it is completely set up (about 2 hours).
- Now prepare the whipped cream. Whisk heavy cream until it reaches the soft peak stage.
- Blend in confectioners' sugar and Jack Daniel's. Continue to whisk until the cream forms stiff peaks.
- Cover and refrigerate until the pie is completely cooled.
- Slice the pie, top with Jack Daniel's whipped cream, and enjoy!
Read more articles by Chef Tony Matassa, ShoppersChoice.com, LLC.
View on BBQGuys.com