Fried Coconut Shrimp Recipe With Chipotle Adobo Sauce
In this recipe, you'll learn to make fried coconut shrimp with a spicy chipotle adobo dipping sauce. This makes a great quick meal or appetizer with a sweet and spicy flavor combo! We cooked ours using a fryer attachment for our gas grill, but any deep fryer will do.
|SERVES 4 - 6||PREP 30 min||COOK 3 min||READY IN 35 min|
- 2-3 inch depth of peanut oil for frying
- 1 1/2 lbs jumbo shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 3/4 cup corn starch
- 2 each fine lime zest
- 1 tsp ground ginger powder
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 4 each egg whites
- Breading: (Optionally, use 2 cups of sweetened shredded coconut)
- 3 cups desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/3 cup honey
- Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup puréed chipotles in adobo sauce
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- Things You'll Need:
- Outdoor Deep Fryer
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, add puréed chipotles in adobo sauce, coconut sugar, lime juice, and cilantro.
- Mix until sugar dissolves.
- Stir in unsalted butter while removing pan from the heat.
- Serve sauce or chill in fridge until ready to serve.
- Prep coconut for breading shrimp.
- If using unsweetened dried coconut, toss the dessicated coconut with the confectioners sugar and corn starch to blend well and coat.
- Whisk together the hot water and honey until incorporated and pour over the coconut mixture. Toss to blend and allow the coconut to rehydrate for 10 minutes or so.
- Mix together all dry dredge ingredients in a separate mixing bowl.
- Add egg whites to a small bowl next to the seasoned cornstarch mix.
- Place coconut breading in another shallow bowl next to the egg whites.
- Preheat oil in fryer to 350°F, use a grease thermometer so that you can monitor the temperature.
- Batter shrimp individually by rolling in seasoned cornstarch mixture, then dunking in egg whites, and finishing the process with a roll in the coconut batter.
- Once battered, fry in the preheated 350°F oil and maintain an oil temperature above 325°F for the entire cook.
- Fry until shrimp are golden brown, then drain any excess grease before plating.
- Plate with adobo dipping sauce, and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
- Serve, and enjoy!
View on BBQGuys.com