Crown Roast of Pork Recipe
This Crown Roast of Pork recipe is perfect to cook for a large group of people, because the prep will only take about 30 minutes, and your guests will think you spent days! We add a bit of smokey flavor with some cherry wood in the smoker box, and I show you how to keep the roast juicy by roasting it over some vegetables, aromatics, and red wine.
|SERVES 10-20||PREP 30 min||COOK 2 1/2-3 hours||READY IN 3 hours 30 min|
- 1 crown roast (around 17 ribs)
- Cherry wood chips (enough to fill smoker box)
- 1/2 cup red wine (in smoker box)
- Mediterranean seasoning blend (enough to cover roast)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup Mediterranean seasoning blend
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Drip Pan Vegetables:
- 10 each new potatoes (quartered)
- 2 each yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 each yellow bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 each red bell pepper (chopped)
- Mediterranean seasoning blend, to taste
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Mediterranean Seasoning Blend: (yields 1.5 cups)
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp thyme
- 2 Tbsp basil
- 2 Tbsp marjoram
- 2 Tbsp rosemary
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cardamom (measure before grinding)
- 2 tsp ground fennel seeds (measure before grinding)
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- Things You'll Need:
- Cherry Wood Chips or Chunks
- Drip Pan
- Allow crown roast to come to room temp while you season with salt, pepper, and Mediterranean seasoning blend.
- Load your smoker box with cherry wood, and pour in a little red wine. Set smoker burner to medium heat.
- Place your roasting pod in the grill, turn the far right burner to high, and the burner beneath the roasting pod to medium.
- Preheat grill to 425°F.
- Place drip pan filled with chopped vegetables in the bottom of the roasting pod, pour in red wine, olive oil, rosemary sprigs, and season with Mediterranean blend.
- Put cooking grids over drip pan on roasting pod and place crown roast on the grids.
- Close the lid of your grill and roast for 10-15 minutes at 425°F.
- Mix up basting mixture over medium heat.
- After roasting at 425°F for 10-15 minutes (until browned), open lid and baste.
- Close lid and reduce temperature to 350°F for the remainder of the cook.
- Baste about every 30 minutes.
- After about 2.5 hours, check the internal temperature. When the internal temperature reaches 140°F, the roast is ready to remove from the grill.
- Tent loosely with foil and rest roast for 20 minutes.
- Plate roast with vegetables from drip pan on the side, optionally garnish with fresh sage and rosemary.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Grillabilities : The Skills to Grill
View on BBQGuys.com