Get your GRUB ON Caveman style! Watch as we show you how to cook Caveman steak, onions, peppers, and mushrooms directly on the charcoal in a hole dug in the ground. The result is an unbelievable all over seared crust on these steaks, this method is a must try!
Ingredients for Steak
- 2 Bone-in Porterhouse Steaks cut 2 inches thick
- Cracked black pepper
- Coarse salt
- 3 large onions
- 2 bell peppers
- 3 portobello mushrooms
Ingredients for Cognac Sauce
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cognac brandy
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
Items You'll Need
Instructions for Steak
- Get your lump charcoal lit evenly to form a nice coal bed to serve as your cooking surface.
- Liberally apply cracked black pepper and coarse salt to both sides of your porterhouse steaks.
- Lay onions and steaks directly on top of your coal bed.
- Let your steaks cook for approximately 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove your steaks from the coal bed and let them rest.
- Add your bell peppers and portobello mushrooms to the coal bed.
- Once bell peppers and portobello mushrooms are cooked to desired doneness, remove from coal bed.
- In a medium saucepan placed directly on your coals, melt butter and add one of your steaks.
- Let steak simmer for about 2 minutes, then remove from pan and let rest.
- Drain some of the excess oil from your pan.
- Add the cognac and whipping cream and slowly stir until reduced.
- Once your sauce has reduced by half, add another small shot of cognac and remove pan from heat.
- Remove onions from coal bed and slice vegetables, removing any overly charred bits.
- Drizzle sauce over steak or serve in a dish on the side, and ENJOY!
Instructions for Cognac Reduction Sauce
View on BBQGuys.com