Holiday Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce and Spiced Cream Sauce
Celebrate your holidays the right way with a deliciously decadent treat, primed for sharing. Between sweet rum sauce and spiced cream sauce, this holiday bread pudding recipe presents a sweet wintery treat ready to be divided and conquered by any group of friends — hey, why not yours? Pop open the smoker, pull out the bourbon and the white rum, and prepare this seasonal Louisiana take on a classic dessert with ample worldwide history. Spread the baking mixture, spread the love, and close out the year with cheer!
|SERVES 6-8||PREP 2 hours 15 min||COOK 1 hour||READY IN 3 hours 15 min|
- Ingredients for Bread Pudding:
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (firmly packed)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 2 cups half-half
- 2 12 oz brioche loaves (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 cup raisins
- Sprigs of mint for garnish
- Confectioners' sugar for garnish
- Ingredients for Rum Sauce:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp white rum
- Ingredients for Spiced Cream Sauce:
- 1 quart whipping cream
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Things You'll Need:
Procedure For Bread Pudding:
- Preheat your smoker to 350 degrees using a mild pellet flavor such as apple or cherry.
- Grease a 1.5 qt Pyrex loaf pan with butter.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and bourbon together in a large mixing bowl until very smooth.
- Add the half-and-half and mix well. Add the bread and raisins, and let the mixture sit for 2 hours in the fridge, stirring occasionally.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake until the pudding is set in the center, about 1 hour.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- To serve, cut the pudding into 1 inch thick slices.
- Lay each slice in the center of each serving plate.
- Drizzle some of the Rum sauce over the pudding.
- Top with the spiced cream and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint and confectioners' sugar.
Procedure For Rum Sauce:
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Combine the sugar and cornstarch, and stir into the butter.
- Pour in milk, and cook stirring frequently until the mixture begins to boil.
- Continue cooking until thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and stir in rum.
- Serve warm.
Procedure For Spiced Cream Sauce:
- Beat the cream with an electric mixer on high speed in a large mixing bowl for 2 minutes.
- Add the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and beat again until the mixture thickens and forms stick peaks, about another 1-2 minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Serve chilled.
View on BBQGuys.com