Grilled Alligator Sausage over Corn Grits with a Smoked Gouda Crawfish Cream Sauce
What else would you expect from the Executive Chef of a New Orleans-based catering company? Chef Tasha has made an art of Southern cooking during her time at Seasons of Louisiana, and this dish exemplifies her work in mouthwatering fashion. From the crawfish cream sauce to the grilled gator sausage — yeah, that’s a thing here — local ingredients shine through in Chef Tasha’s elevated take on classic comfort food. Like what you’re seeing (and soon to be eating)?
Ingredients for Corn Grits
- 1 cup corn grits
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Butter (to taste)
Ingredients for Sausage
- ½ lb alligator sausage
Ingredients for Smoked GoudaCrawfish Cream Sauce
- ¼ cup diced shallots (about 1 large shallot)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic (1 clove)
- ½ lb crawfish tails, with liquid from package
- 1 tsp blackening seasoning
- 1 cup Half and Half
- ½ cup cream of shrimp soup
- ¼ cup grated smoked gouda
- 1 tsp sambal chili paste
- ½ cup sliced green onion tops and bottoms
- ¼ cup halved cherry tomatoes
Items You'll Need
Instructions for Grilled Alligator Sausage over Corn Grits
- Prepare the corn grits according to the manufacturer’s instructions, substituting half the required water with milk. Season with salt, pepper, and butter as desired, then set aside.
- Use cast iron or your favorite grill to sear the alligator sausage until golden brown on both sides. Set aside.
- In a wide-bottomed pan, saute shallots in butter over medium heat until softened.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add garlic, crawfish tails with liquid, and blackening seasoning. Sautee for about 2 minutes to develop a caramelized color. After sauteeing, remove and reserve 2 tablespoons of crawfish tails for garnish.
- Reduce heat to low and slowly stir in Half and Half, cream of shrimp soup, and grated gouda.
- Add chili paste, green onions, and cherry tomato halves, then simmer until thickened. This should take about 6–8 minutes.
- Serve the set aside grilled sausage on a bowl of grits, then top with crawfish cream sauce.
Instructions for Smoked Gouda Crawfish Cream Sauce
View on BBQGuys.com