Ultimate Breakfast Burger on the Weber Traveler Gas Grill
Weber Grill Master Kelsey Heidkamp is a self-styled “breakfast fanatic,” and she’s got the patty to prove it. She once again dazzled our Master Grillabilities® crew with this Ultimate Brunch Burger, a quarter-pounder topped with breakfast fixings and nestled between toasted bagel buns slathered with spicy mayo. Salivating yet? We thought so. And this breakfast burger recipe is no fluke, as Kelsey is quick to note. “Over the past 20 years of my grilling journey, I’ve cooked probably well over 10,000 different types of burgers,” she says. “I will say the one that I love the most is the Ultimate Brunch Burger. It never gets old for me; it’s always a staple.” Once you try this deliciously dripping breakfast burger, we think you’ll share her opinion.
Ingredients for Burger
- 1 lb ground chuck (80/20 fat ratio)
- ¼ small sweet onion, minced
- 1 small jalapeno, minced
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
Ingredients for Burger Toppings
- 4 slices of bacon
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 4 everything bagels
- 8 Tbsp spicy mayo (store-bought or by mixing mayo and sriracha sauce at home)
- 1 whole tomato, thinly sliced
Items You'll Need
- Place a cast iron griddle on one side of the grill and prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350°F–450°F).
- While everything preheats, mix together in a large bowl the ground chuck, minced sweet onion, minced jalapeno, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Portion the mixture into 4 even clumps, which will be used to make the patties. Use your hands to form them into tight little balls, then flatten the balls on your hand or a work surface (or a burger press can do the work for you). Round the edges and use a thumb to create a dimple in the center of all the burgers, which will help them cook evenly as the meat contracts over the heat. Refrigerate the patties until you’re ready to grill.
- Place the bacon slices in your preheated griddle over direct medium heat, and cook for 8–10 minutes with the lid closed, flipping once at the halfway point. Remove from the griddle and aside when fully cooked, also taking out all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat, which can be saved or discarded.
- Leave the griddle in the grill and crank the heat to medium-high (450°F–500°F), leaving it set up for direct cooking.
- Grill the patties directly on the grill grates opposite the griddle, keeping the lid closed and flipping once. Cook for 3–4 minutes per side for well done, or until an instant-read thermometer stuck into the thickest part of the patty registers 162°F.
- For the last 30 seconds of the cook, top each burger with a piece of bacon (split apart to fit the burger) and 2 slices of cheddar cheese. Make sure you set down the bacon first so the melting cheese will help it stay in place. Close the lid for the final 30 seconds so the cheese can melt.
- Remove the burgers from the grill and rest at room temperature, indoors, for 5–10 minutes.
- While the burgers rest, fry the eggs in the griddle and toast the bagel halves directly on the grill grates. Cook each for 1–2 minutes with the lid down, flipping once midway through, then remove from the grill.
- Build the Ultimate Brunch Burger by spreading spicy mayo on both top and bottom of the bagel. Place a thin tomato slice on the bottom half of the bagel, followed by the grilled patty with bacon and cheese, and finally the fried egg. Add the top half of the bagel, serve, and enjoy!
View on BBQGuys.com