Middle Eastern-Style Grilled Chicken from Christie Vanover
This Middle Eastern-style grilled chicken is rubbed with a blend of fragrant, warm spices, giving it a unique and flavorful crust. With this recipe from Christie Vanover of Girls Can Grill the chicken is spatchcocked so it cooks faster and is marinated in a Greek yogurt sauce, which makes the chicken extra tender and juicy.
|SERVES 8 servings||PREP 4 hrs 30 mins||COOK 1 hr 30 mins||READY IN 6 hrs|
- 6 lb chicken
- For the Middle Eastern Rub:
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp granulated garlic
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp cardamom
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground cloves
- 3/4 tsp Aleppo pepper flakes
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- For Marinade:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Items You'll Need:
- Gas grill
- Chef knife
- Spatchcock the chicken by removing the back bone and pressing the chicken flat. Use a sharp knife to score the chicken across the breast, legs and thighs.
- Combine the rub ingredients. Set 2 tablespoons aside.
- Mix the yogurt and lemon juice with the remaining rub.
- Rub both sides of the chicken with the yogurt mixture working it into slits.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Heat the grill to 375°F with an indirect heat zone.
- After the chicken has marinaged, season the top side with 1 tablespoon of seasoning. Place it on the grill skin side down.
- Season the backside with remaining seasoning. Grill for 30 minutes.
- Flip grill for another hour or until the internal temperature in the breast and thigh meat reaches 165°F.
View on BBQGuys.com