You can’t resist the aromas of warm Chipotle Honey Cornbread when you lift the lid off the grill! This simple recipe from Chiles and Smoke’s Brad Prose comes together quickly, so you don’t have to keep your friends and family waiting very long. Pop it in the grill (or pizza oven) and get ready for a fluffy and crusty cornbread.
Ingredients for Skillet Cornbread
- 2 cups coarse cornmeal
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ cups full-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp melted lard (Manteca, bacon grease or shortening)
- ⅓ cup diced chipotles in adobo
- 2 Tbsp honey
Items You'll Need
Instructions for Skillet Cornbread
- Preheat grill to 450°F. Light the charcoal and place the coals on either side of the grill, leaving a cooler zone in the middle. Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet over the coals to preheat for at least 10 minutes.
- Combine the cornmeal, salt, baking soda, and baking powder into a large bowl and whisk to combine the ingredients.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and ¼ cup melted lard in a small bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients along with the honey and diced chiles and then mix with a spatula gently just to combine. Do not whisk or overmix the batter.
- Remove the hot skillet (carefully) from the grill and add the remaining tablespoon of melted lard to the pan, swirling to coat the bottom. Pour in the batter quickly so it distributes across the bottom (it will sizzle a little).
- Bake the cornbread in the cool zone (the middle of the grill) for about 15 minutes. Rotate the skillet halfway through to ensure the cornbread cooks evenly on the sides. Test doneness with a toothpick inserted in the center, which should come out clean.
- Serve warm with butter or honey.
View on BBQGuys.com