Grilled Drunken Fruit Recipe with Cocktail
Learn how to make delicious grilled fruit soaked in an orange bourbon simple syrup marinade, topped with a butter bourbon pecan topping. A drink recipe is also included, which makes about 6-8 Bourbon drinks from the fruit marinade.
Ingredients for Drunken Fruit
- 4 cups water
- Juice from 2 oranges
- Large shavings of orange zest (from 1 of the oranges)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 green apples
- 4 peaches
- 1 bottle of Bourbon
Ingredients for Pecan/Cane Syrup Topping
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 3 cups pecans
- 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup cane syrup
- 1/4 cup bourbon
Ingredients for Garnish
- Fresh lemon slices
- Fresh orange slices
- Fresh mint leaves
Items You'll Need
Instructions for Fruit Marinade/Cocktail
- Prepare the simple syrup: mix the water, juice from the oranges, orange zest & sugar together. Whisk to combine.
- Bring the simple syrup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes.
- After simmering, remove from burner & allow to cool for about 20 minutes.
- Peel the green apples, then slice off the tops & bottoms of the apples.
- Turn the apple on its side and slice about every half inch. Do this for the remaining apples. You don't need to remove the core, just the seeds.
- Cut the peaches in half. Twist the two halves apart, and remove the stones.
- Slice the peaches about every half inch.
- After the simple syrup has cooled, add the fifth of bourbon. Whisk the mixture and allow it to sit for about 10 minutes.
- Place the sliced fruit in a large bowl and pour the simple syrup over it. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 4 - 24 hours
- When it's time to grill the fruit, remove it from the refrigerator while you prepare the pecan/cane syrup topping.
- Turn on your burner for medium-high heat and melt the butter. Once melted, pour in the pecans. Stir the mixture to make sure the pecans are well coated.
- Add the ground cinnamon, stiring well. Pour in the cane syrup.
- Very carefully, add the bourbon. At this point, it may or not catch fire. Don't worry, it just adds a little extra nuance of flavor. Turn the burner off.
- Strain the fruit, reserving the liquid. Pour the liquid into a serving pitcher.
- Put a few lemon & orange slices in the bottom of each glass, along with a few mint leaves. Muddle everything around with a muddler.
- Fill the glasses with ice & garnish with a orange slice & mint leaf. Fill the glasses with the bourbon-orange mixture.
- Serve the cocktails to your guests while you grill the fruit.
- Pre-heat the grill for medium heat, about 350°F.
- Place the sliced fruit directly on the grill and allow to cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Rotate the slices about 45 degrees to cross-hatch & grill for another 2 - 3 minutes.
- Now it's time to turn the fruit. I recommend turning the peaches first, because they cook slightly faster. Once flipped, allow them to grill for another 2 - 3 minutes.
- Optional: splash some bourbon on the fruit. (be very careful!)
- Grill for one more minute and then remove from the grill.
- Place the fruit on a serving platter & top with the pecan/cane syrup.
Instructions for Grilled Drunken Fruit
View on BBQGuys.com