Everything old is new again! Thought to have originated in Louisville, Kentucky in the 19th century, the Old Fashioned has taken many different forms over the years. It is traditionally enjoyed before dinner, but can also be great paired with pork chops or bacon. Aromatic cinnamon smoke and a burst of orange essence give this classic cocktail its new twist.
|PREP 5 min||COOK 5 mins||READY IN 10 mins|
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 oz rye whiskey
- 1/2 oz simple syrup
- 2 dashes bitters
- Lighter or match
- Orange peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Hold flame to cinnamon stick until it catches fire. (Note: If cinnamon won't light, dry it in the oven for 10 minutes on low heat).
- Put cinnamon stick on a flat plate, place glass over cinnamon stick, and leave for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn over glass and release aromatic cinnamon smoke.
- Add rye whiskey, simple syrup, and 2 dashes of bitters to glass.
- Add ice and briefly stir.
- Cut medallion of orange peel, avoiding the pith.
- With the outside of the peel (the orange part) facing in, bend between thumb and forefinger in the direction of your cocktail. Lightly squeeze peel while bringing it toward a small flame. The burst of orange oil from the peel should ignite in a small flash. The peel should not light on fire.
- Rub the peel around the rim of the glass and drop into the cocktail.
- Garnish with a fresh cinnamon stick and enjoy!
View on BBQGuys.com