Barbecue Chicken Grill Recipe with Bourbon Peach BBQ Sauce
By Chef Tony Matassa, ShoppersChoice.com, LLC.
Barbecue Chicken is a staple of almost every BBQ cookout. For this recipe, we head over to our Lynx grill and show you how to perfectly brine and grill your chicken and then top it off with a home-made Bourbon Peach BBQ Sauce.
|PREP 2 hour||COOK 1 hours||READY IN 3 hours|
- Brine For 4 Lbs of Chicken:
- 4 qts water
- 1 1-3 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp dry thyme
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ea lemon, sliced
- 4 ea whole black peppercorns
- Bourbon Peach BBQ Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cans crushed tomatoes (28oz. cans)
- 1/2 ea yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground all spice
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp creole mustard
- 1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 4 ea fresh peaches, peeled & diced
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Things You'll Need:
- USA Premium Cuts Chicken
- In a 2 gallon plastic bag, dissolve the salt and sugar in 1 1/2 quarts of warm water, then add in the rosemary, thyme, garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon slices, and peppercorns and allow to infuse for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Add 3 quarts of cold water to the infusion, along with your chicken, seal, and allow it to brine in the refrigerator for 2 – 4 hours.
- Finely dice the peaches and put them in a large glass mixing bowl. Stir in the lemon juice and bourbon and set aside.
- In a heavy sauce pan set over a medium burner, saute the minced onion with salt and black pepper.
- Add the tomato paste, constantly stirring, and cook for about two minutes. Then add the minced garlic and cook for another 20 – 30 seconds.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, all spice, cinnamon, Worcestershire sauce, Creole mustard, Tabasco sauce, paprika, and brown sugar. Once thoroughly incorporated, Stir in 1/4 of the diced peach bourbon mixture.
- Simmer for 30 – 40 minutes, until the sauce is cooked down and fairly thick, then add the rest of the bourbon peaches and cook for another 2 minutes on low.
- Turn off the burner, allow the sauce to cool completely.
- Once cooled, put BBQ sauce in either a food processor and strainer or blend to a smooth consistency with an immersion blender.
- Get the grill preheated to low heat, around the 250-300 degrees.
- Take your chicken quarters out of the brine, give them a rinse, and pat dry. Season with a little salt and black pepper, and coat them in olive oil.
- Once preheated, place the chicken on the grill bone side down and let them cook for about 15 minutes.
- Now turn them about 45 degrees, and let them cook for about 10 more minutes.
- Flip them skin side down and let them cook about 10 minutes.
- Now it's time to give the bone side a baste with the BBQ sauce. Once basted, turn the temperature up to medium low and turn the chicken sauce-side-down so that it can caramelize for 5 minutes
- Baste the top side with the BBQ sauce, turn the chicken over and allow the second side to caramelize for 5 more minutes.
- Give the chicken one last baste with BBQ sauce and let it go 5 minutes longer.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and allow it to rest 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with extra BBQ sauce on the side, and enjoy!
Grillabilities : The Skills to Grill
Read more articles by Chef Tony Matassa, ShoppersChoice.com, LLC.
View on BBQGuys.com