Chicken Fried Steak from Al Frugoni
You can enjoy a chicken fried steak as if you were from the deep south with this easy to follow recipe. This chicken fried steak is tender and juicy with an irresistible crispy coating. Smothering it in thick delicious cream gravy only makes it so much better. Al Frugoni prepares this classic with BBQ guys Texas Rub and deep fries it up in a cast iron kettle over the open fire.
|SERVES 4 people||PREP 10 mins||COOK 20 mins||READY IN 30 mins|
- For the Chicken Fried Steak:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of BBQ Guys Texas Rub
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 1 1/2 pounds of tenderized or cubed sirloin steak
- For the Gravy:
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups of cream or whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Items You’ll Need:
Chicken Fried Steak Instructions
- Combine the flour with the BBQ Guys Texas Rub. Stir it well until it is well combined.
- Place the flour mixture and buttermilk into separate shallow containers.
- Place a steak into the flour mix and shake off excess. Then dip the floured steak into the buttermilk. Shake off excess and place it back into the flour mix, shake excess flour mix and then place it on a wire rack until you have finished all steaks.
- Heat up a large skillet until the oil is at its hottest (about 350).
- Place the steaks in the oil. When the top looks like it is getting golden brown then it is time to flip it (about 7 minutes). Try not to flip it sooner because the breading might come off.
- Second side may take about 4 additional minutes, then place the finished steak on the wire rack to cool and drain for a few minutes.
- Heat butter over medium heat and when it is melted, add the milk or cream.
- Add the flour, salt, and pepper and stir until it thickens.
View on BBQGuys.com