You can enjoy a chicken fried steak as if you were from the deep south with this easy to follow recipe. This chicken fried steak is tender and juicy with an irresistible crispy coating. Smothering it in thick delicious cream gravy only makes it so much better. Al Frugoni prepares this classic with Texas rub and deep fries it up in a cast iron kettle over the open fire.
Ingredients for Chicken Fried Steak
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp of Texas rub
- 2 cups of buttermilk
1 1/2 pounds of tenderized or cubed
Ingredients for the Gravy
- 2 Tbsp of butter
- 2 Tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups of cream or whole milk
- 1/2 tsp of ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp of salt
Items You'll Need
- Combine the flour with the Texas rub. Stir it well until it is well combined.
- Place the flour mixture and buttermilk into separate shallow containers.
- Place a steak into the flour mix and shake off excess. Then dip the floured steak into the buttermilk. Shake off excess and place it back into the flour mix, shake excess flour mix and then place it on a wire rack until you have finished all steaks.
- Heat up a large skillet until the oil is at its hottest (about 350 ℉).
- Place the steaks in the oil. When the top looks like it is getting golden brown then it is time to flip it (about 7 minutes). Try not to flip it sooner because the breading might come off.
- Second side may take about 4 additional minutes, then place the finished steak on the wire rack to cool and drain for a few minutes.
- For the gravy, heat butter over medium heat and when it is melted, add the milk or cream.
- Add the flour, salt, and pepper and stir until it thickens.
- Serve the gravy on top the steak, and enjoy!
View on BBQGuys.com