Grilled Chicken Tacos
Let's spice up our lives with these confetti colored tacos by Al Frugoni! The tender chicken hits the grill after being marinated in freshly squeezed orange, lemon, and lime juice mixed with tequila then smothered in BBQguys Habanero Honeybee rub! What comes next is up to you!!! The grilled chicken is enhanced by as many grilled jalapeños or hot sauce you want to turn up the heat. Fresh cilantro, queso fresco, red onion, you could even add some avocados and finish it off with a squirt of lime juice to knock it out of the ballpark!
Ingredients for the Marinade
- 2 oz tequila
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 4 dehusked and diced tomatillos (or use a can of green sauce)
- ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the Pickled Red Onions
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
Ingredients for the Chicken Prep
- 1 whole chicken, spatchcocked
- 5 large jalapeños
- Habanero Honey Rub (or your favorite sweet & spicy rub)
Ingredients for the Tacos
- Sliced roasted jalapeños
- Hot sauce to taste
- Shredded chicken (from above)
- Pickled red onion (from above)
- Crumbled queso fresco
- Corn or flour tortillas
Items You'll Need
Instructions for the Marinade
- Over medium heat, heat a pan with 1 Tbsp of cooking oil.
- Add red onions and tomatillos (or green sauce) and slowly cook until soft.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook a minute or two on low heat.
- Add the lemon, lime, and orange juices and stir to combine, then add the tequila!
- Cool the marinade until it is room temperature.
- Using an airtight container, add sliced red onion, vinegar, and sugar and mix well.
- Seal the ingredients and place in the refrigerator for 5-6 hours or overnight.
Instructions for the Pickled Red Onion
- The chicken should have backbone removed by cutting on either side to remove it with kitchen shears. Open the chicken so it lays flat, breast-side up.
- Pour the cooled marinade into a one gallon freezer bag, then place it into another freezer bag to prevent leakage. The chicken should be covered with the marinade entirely. Store 5-6 hours or overnight.
- When you are done marinating, prepare your grill by bringing the temperature up to 300-325°F. Move the coals to one side of the grill to create an indirect cooking surface.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, and cover it with the Habanero Honey Rub and place it on the grill, breast-side up, over indirect heat.
- Close the grill and slow roast for roughly 20-30 minutes, or until the internal temperature has reached 120°F. Use a meat thermometer for accuracy.
- Flip the chicken breast side down and roast until internal temperature has reached 160°F, this should be an additional 20-30 minutes.
- One last flip and roast again until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Take the chicken off the grill and allow it to rest.
- Place the jalapeños on the grill where they get more direct heat. It should take about 10 minutes to roast them on each side until peppers are softened and charred.
Instructions for the Chicken Prep
- After resting, shred the chicken using a fork in each hand.
- Take a tortilla and place in it some shredded chicken, pickled red onion, some slices of roasted jalapeños. Top it off with crumbled queso fresco, cilantro, and hot sauce to taste.
Instructions for the Tacos
View on BBQGuys.com