Bacon Jam Pizza from Christie Vanover
Bacon and lots of cheese? Yes please! You’ve got to try adding bacon jam to pizza. It’s salty, a little sweet, with a little heat and incredibly sinful. Christie Vanover of Girls Can Grill has shared her homemade bacon jam recipe, which she loads on pizza dough with tons of cheese. Once your bacon jam is made, you can cook this pizza right on the grill or in a pizza oven in less than 15 minutes.
|SERVES 2 12-inch pizzas||PREP 20 mins||COOK 50 mins||READY IN 1 hr 10 mins|
- For the Bacon Jam:
- 10 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp whiskey or bourbon
- For the Pizza:
- 2 balls of pizza dough (1-1/2 pounds each)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 2 cups bacon jam
- 8 ozs Ciliegine mozzarella balls, halved
- 1 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Items You'll Need:
- Gas Grill
- Sauce Pot
- Pizza Stone
- Pizza Peel
Bacon Jam Instructions:
- Heat your grill or stove to medium-high heat and place a sauce pot on the grate or burner.
- Add the bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally until brown and crispy. Remove the bacon from the pot, separating the drippings.
- Place 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings in the pot. Add the diced onion and jalapeno. Cook for about 5 minutes, until tender. Add the garlic and sauté 1 more minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot. Cook until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Return the bacon to the pot and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Heat your grill to 450F degrees with a pizza stone inside the grill.
- Start by making one pizza. Stretch the dough by pulling it, not rolling it. Once it’s about 12-inches in diameter, place it on a pizza peel dusted with flour.
- Top the dough with 1 cup shredded cheese. Add 1 cup of bacon jam. Top with half of the Ciliegine mozzarella balls. Finish with 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Using the pizza peel, slide the pizza onto the heated pizza stone on the grill. Close the lid and grill for 8-10 minutes.
- When the cheese is melted and the crust is golden, remove the pizza from the grill. Sprinkle with green onions. Slice and serve.
- Repeat these steps with the second dough ball to make a second pizza.
- The bacon jam recipe yields 2 cups.
- If you like your jam spicier, include the jalapeno seeds. If you don’t like heat, leave them out.
- When adding bacon jam to the pizza, try not to get too close to the edges. You don’t want it to drip past the crust onto the pizza stone or it may burn.
View on BBQGuys.com