Want to turn your outdoor space from Frumpy to Fabulous? Look no further. Updating with new outdoor cushions is an easy and relatively inexpensive way to transform your space by adding comfort, color, and style. When it comes to outdoor cushions there are many types, styles, colors and materials to choose from. This buying guide is designed to help make your decision easier by defining cushion styles, filling and fabrics. Once you’ve decided the material and style, it’s time to select your colors.
Tip: Measure first to make sure you always get the right size outdoor replacement cushions by following these quick and easy steps in our Measuring Outdoor Replacement Cushions Guide.
Outdoor Cushions: Types of Cushion Construction
Double-Piped Outdoor Cushions
- Box-like edges with piping at the top and bottom
- Piping adds strength
- Adds a more sophisticated look
- Shop for Double-Piped Outdoor Cushions
Knife-Edge Outdoor Cushions
- Discretely sewn together seams
- Rounded corners
- Most affordable option
- Shop for Knife-Edge Outdoor Cushions
Piped Outdoor Cushions
- Single piping where seams meet
- Piping adds strength
- Adds a more up-scale finish
- Shop for Piped Outdoor Cushions
Tufted Outdoor Cushions
- Hand-sewn darts
- Tufts help maintain the cushion's shape
- Traditional styling
- Shop for Tufted Outdoor Cushions
Outdoor Cushions: Types of Fill Material
- Allows water to drain through with ease
- Dries faster than traditional foam cushions
- Often used in conjunction with polyester fiber wrap around the foam, which makes a more comfortable cushion.
- Drying Tip: Place the cushion on its side after cleaning or heavy rain for faster drying. Water may be retained in foam cushions for longer periods of time without proper drainage.
Loose Polyester Fiberfill
- Constructed from recycled plastic beer bottles
- Non-allergenic and resistant to mildew
Outdoor Cushions: Types of Fabrics
- 100% Acrylic solution-dyed fibers ensure the color will retain color longer.
- Engineered to last 2 to 10 times longer than conventional fabrics.
- 5-year warranty against becoming unserviceable due to color or strength loss from normal usage and exposure conditions, including sunlight.
- Shop for Sunbrella Cushions or Shop Patio Furniture with Sunbrella Cushions
- Less expensive than 100% acrylic fabrics.
- Dries quickly
- Lifespan is typically 2-3 years
- Shop Patio Furniture with Polyester Cushions
- High durability synthetic Olefin fibers.
- Improved fade resistance over lesser grade fabric materials.
- Lifespan is typically several years.
- PVC coated polyester fibers
- Known for durability, quick drying and easy maintenance.
- Strong, versatile fabric typically used as the seating material for sling furniture.
- Shop Patio Furniture with Textilene Sling
View on BBQGuys.com